CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 26, 2010

Dance Competition

Kylie and Megan are in a dance class that meets weekly with a final recital in June.  They have been learning a dance to the song "Tutti Frutti" and their class was chosen to be one of the few younger classes to join the dance company at a local dance competition, Starbound.  I had originally turned down the option of having the girls do the competition as it cost more money and and there was a chance they would dance on Sunday.  The girls and their teacher coerced me into agreeing to let them participate and they miraculously were assigned a dance time on Saturday...thank goodness.

Not only did this mean attending a dance competition but I had to face my fears and take all three of my girls downtown all by myself (Matt had to work).  Now, that may sound silly but I truly was terrified that I would never get back to where I parked my car or worse, lose a child!  Of course it also happened to be Fiesta weekend which means downtown was filled to the max with people and the competition was a couple blocks from it all.  I am happy to report that I found the place, made it to the right building, found my vehicle after the girls danced, and we arrived home with all 4 of us!

The dance competition itself was very interesting and very different than what I expected.  The dances were performed in rapid succession and after waiting an hour and a half the girls got their 2 minutes of stardom.  They looked rather cute up there on stage and performed very well.  Kylie is the oldest and biggest in her class and was in the front center so her fellow dancers could look to her for help if they forgot their steps.  The tap dance was soooo cute with shuffle steps, twirls, booty shakes and all.  The dance was over way too soon and of course teary-eyed mom (I get so emotional over everything!) jumped up after the dance to go get her perfect little dancers.

Part of me thinks the competition was very over-rated for those little girls but the other part of me couldn't help but love their faces as they danced and then were able to watch the other more experienced dancers.  With our new baby due just 3 days after the recital date I am glad I was able to see their dance in person just in case our little girl decides to make her debut early.

All in all the day was lovely and they even won a trophy which will be kept at the dance studio.  Kylie and Megan did receive a blue ribbon they were able to bring home.

Here we are right as we arrived at the building where the competiton took place.  The girls were very excited and anxious to get in and find their teacher but I had to snap a picture or two before things got crazy.




 
This was after their dance while we were waiting for the awards.

Megan was totally funny while we were waiting for their turn to dance.  She was sitting in the back and dancing and rolling all over the place.  When I asked if I could take a picture of her she started doing all sorts of poses...this was my favorite...a dancer for sure!

Practicing before they had to go on stage.

5 comments:

  1. They are just two of the most beautiful girls! way to go Kylie and Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! They really are two of the most beautiful girls!! Way to go Celeste!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! (this is Lynse btw, not Keeper) I can't wait for Camy to be able to do these fun things but for now I can just enjoy watching my cute nieces! I wish I could've been there to support them but obviously I could'nt make it this time. I would love to be at the recital in June, though! As long as there aren't anymore major catastrophes count at least me in if that's okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girls look so cute! It makes me sad that Samantha will miss the dance recital. I really like your girls costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're girls are so beautiful! I love Meg's pose! What fun for them! :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete